"Mrs. Weasley progress in the kitchen is impressive most home cooks even good one sleeve top it to the professionals yet this is Lulu since Easter eggs filled with homemade toffee to Harry Ron and Hermione to have my nieces may miss Weasley since her how much smaller eggs she's been reading Rita Skeeter"
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup or corn syrup
- 1 1/2 sticks or 12 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soy lecithin (optional)
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 cups chopped toasted pecans
- Grease baking sheet lined with parchment paper allowing the parchment paper to climb up opposite ends, this will make it easy to remove the Toffee from the pan after it cools.
- place the sugar, golden syrup or corn syrup, butter, heavy cream, cream of tartar, salt and soy lecithin in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium- high heat; stirring constantly, until combined, reduce the heat to medium low. Wash down the sides of the pan with the pastry brush dipped in hot water to get rid of sugar crystals, just a few crystals on the side can cause the Toffee to recrystallize
- Clip a candy thermometer to the saucepan. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the temperature reaches 300°F
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the vanilla. Quickly pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges with the wooden spoon; you need to move fast because the candy hardens quickly. Cool completely in the pan.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave; spread half the chocolate over the toffee then sprinkle half the pecans evenly over the chocolate, patting it how down with your hands to make it make sure it sticks. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
- When the chocolate is hard, tug a corner of the parchment paper to loosen the toffee, then carefully flip it over and peel off the parchment paper.
- Spread the remaining chocolate over the tofee and sprinkle the remaining pecans over the chocolate, patting it down with your hands. When the chocolate is set break the Toffee into pieces
Makes about 2 pounds